Set up and optimize your Google+ business page to influence search results and reach over 100 million Google+ users. Google’s Search Plus Your World influences personalized results so you can show up in the search engine results page of your connections, and possibly their connections, when they conduct a relevant search. Even without search benefits, Google+ makes connecting and interacting simple, inexpensive and fruitful. To start with Google+ for business purposes, get ready to set up and optimize your Google+ page.
Set Up Your Google+ Page
You need a Gmail account to set up a Google+ Page, so choose an email address that will always be accessible. (In other words, don’t have your summer intern set up the Page with her personal email.) Create your page here.
You’ll have the choice to categorize your business page as a Local Business or Place; Product or Brand; Company, Institution or Organization; Arts, Entertainment or Sports; or Other.
But which of these five categories should you pick for your business?
- Local Business or Place – If you already had a Google Places page, you automatically have up a Google+ Local page, since Google Places integrated with Google+ Local on May 30th. If you’re a local business and want to take advantage of local search, this is the option for you. For example, you’ll be given access to exclusive features, such as a map of your location and hours of operation.
- Product or Brand – Google recommends apparel, financial services, cars, electronics and similar products select Product or Brand for their page.
- Company, Institution or Organization – If you’re a national or regional business that doesn’t exclusively serve local customers, this is a good choice for you.
- Arts, Entertainment or Sports – This selection is a good choice if you’re setting up a page for a music album, band, sports team, TV show, movie or something similar.
- Other – Choose this option if you feel that none of the above categories works for your business.
To give others access to manage your page, click on the profile image in the right hand corner of the page and select ‘Managers’. From here, you’ll be able to add Managers with their Gmail addresses. Unlike Facebook, there’s currently only one, all-powerful level of Manager access, so use discretion when adding Managers.
Optimize Your Page
Now that you’ve set up your Google+ page, it’s time to optimize it. Here are a few sections to pay attention to:
Your tagline is important because it’s what will show in the Google+ search results when people search for your page. Make sure to use keywords in your tagline so you show up in the search results, and be informative and interesting enough in the first few words so that people and businesses decide to circle your page.
The introduction of your page is a great place to use all the keywords that people could use to try and find your page. Of course, write naturally and convincingly, but if you want users to find your page through search, you’ll need to use varied keywords in your introduction.
Make sure you use appealing photos as your profile and cover image. Your profile image will show up in search and when you share and comment on items in your feed. The profile image is 252 x 252 pixels.
You have two options for your cover image. You can use small scrapbook photos, which you can see we’ve done below.
Or you can use one, panoramic cover image, with the dimensions of 940 x 180 pixels, as seen below on the Dallas Cowboys’ Google+ page.
These steps are just the beginning of marketing your business on Google+. To stay tuned, subscribe to our weekly e-mail newsletter!
If you have any questions or comments about how to set up and optimize your Google+ profile, please let us know in the comments below.